Saturday, December 26, 2009

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU OUR DEAREST CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN



It’s amazing how this holiday always brings fond memories of all of you our children and grandchildren. Many memories come to mind of Christmas' s through the years. These memories bring joy to our hearts. We would love to have you all home for Christmas; but realize that it is important for you to have your own family traditions. It has been fun for us to have a couple of families here for Christmas this year and hope that many of you will come for visits here during the holidays.

Some of our fond memories include hunting for trees on lots and also in the mountain. The most memorable was the time we cut down a tree when we lived in Paradise, California. Sean and Travis helped Dad drag it to the car and I mean drag. When we got it home it practically filled our whole living room. We liked fresh trees a lot and sometimes had them flocked. I swore we would never have a fake tree; but when we had to replace a tree during the holidays due to being too dry; we relinquished and now have fake trees. I miss the Christmas smell of pine
It has always been so fun to visit Santa Claus. It was amazing how some children loved to sit on his knees and others were afraid. One year we had a lot of snow in Richmond, Utah and Santa came to our home on a snowmobile to visit our family. It was so fun. I loved the home in Richmond because it had so much character; and brought back memories of my youth.
Then there was staying up late to arrange toys that Santa brought. Sometimes, Dad got a little tense because it seemed like there would be missing parts or the toy was more complicated in putting it together. Boy toys vs Girl toys; I loved them all. I do like the smell of a brand new doll. How Dad and I schemed to get cabbage patch dolls when they were in so much demand. We also got one for each other; which was so fun.Then there were the countless games and the many times we played games; but often ended up in augments over someone cheating. I can't imagine that it happened; our children wouldn't do that. 
Of course, there was the few things that occured that we parents didn't know about; but they did sound fun. The taking of mattresses and having the girls be the rain deer and using the mattresses like sleights going down the stairs in the Richmond home. Now who thought to do that????
My fondest memories that I hold the dearest is the family Christmas Programs. How I loved listening to the stories told, the songs sang and the scriptures read. The best of course was the talents shared. There were moments when things would be tense; but in the end the spirit won out over the contention. We so hope that you are continuing these traditions; because this is what Christmas is really all about.  We pray that you will have Christ centered Christmas's. 
There are also those Christmas's that we have been able to enjoy grandchildren and all the fun they being into our lives. There are thought and feeling about each of you that make us laugh and bring joy to our hearts. You are all so precious to us and we pray for you always.

Dad and I have our own traditions of always giving each other something fun or funny on Christmas; even if it was just a letter written to one another. We have found great joy in doing this together.

Remember always the Christmas when all of you were home 10 years ago. It was so fun to have Dri with us. Except for the babies getting sick; I loved that Christmas. I felt the spirit so strong when we as a family went to the displaced family home and served dinner and took gifts; that was the best. We pray you will always find ways of serving others outside of your families. There are so many in need not just at Christmas but all through the years. I also loved the Christmas jar and hope that perhaps some of you have kept that tradition. Also, we will always hold dear the unwrapping of all of the fun stuff that the boys came up with. We all laughed so hard. I especially loved my hair brush being given twice. Dad still uses that memorable hair brush. 
We treasure all of our Christmas memories; because they are of all of you. How deeply we love each of you. This year we pray that all of you may be blessed with good health, love for one another, forgive one another and have peace in your hearts and an ever growing knowledge that Jesus is the Christ and our loving Redeemer. Know that we love you all and are grateful for the way you bless our lives.   
Love and hugs for you all!
Dad and Mom (Grandpa and Grandma)


 





No comments: