Dearest Family:
A few weeks ago I had the following idea and I expressed it to your Dad. He thought it was a good idea and a much needed change for us both. We have had these same discussions through the years; but we feel an urgency now. First of all, you are all aware that I and your Dad at various times have had too much weight on our bodies to be healthy. We have been praying to have good health so we can serve on a mission. In order to accomplish that feat; we need to actually take care of our health. We are now at week three for getting up early and exercising for 30 minutes before Dad leaves for work. In fact today I went 5 miles on the bike, yeah! Of course the next step in our plan is to change our eating habits. We have made some adjustments to our eating through the years but now we need to really go forth and do it completely. This is a big one especially for me. I love all food, especially chocolate, chocolate and chocolate. A good friend of mine told me the other day that the perfect balanced diet is to hold chocolate in both hands; I agreed. I have yo,yo dieted for years as though you all don't already know that. A year ago I decided that I would no longer be a size 14; at the time I was a 12. I gave all of the larger sized clothes away. As of right now I don't have very many items of clothing because I am almost a size 14 again. Not a good plan. Meanwhile, Dad through the years has yo yo'd with his exercising. He basically only exercises a few weeks before he has a treadmill test for his heart. He also gains 5 to 10lbs and then loses 10 lbs. None of these approaches are good for our health.
I have so admired those of you who are trying to be healthy. Dad and I recognize that we have genetics that could be stumbling blocks for you children. We need to take your good examples and be good examples ourselves. We have several health conditions that could be eliminated by following the Word of Wisdom more closely. (D&C 89).
We are also working on going to bed earlier so that we can have a more healthy total lifestyle.(D&C 88:124).
Dad and I are going to commit to eating more nutritionally, have smaller portions, and continue with our daily exercise program. We want you to all know what we have committed to do this and ask for your prayers for our good health and accomplishment of these goals.
This is our hope!
Here's a poem that I related too.
I Have To Tell You
Now I can wear, My skinny jeans.
It's not been easy, by any means.
I've starved and sweat, and stretched and run.
And if you think, the course was fun,
I challenge you , to do the same,
Just try to win me at the game.
It takes courage and guts, and self-control.
The fact is, my dear, you'll hate the role.
But if the challenge you will take,
I will promise make.
You'll love yourself more every day,
And to me later you will say,
"Thank you, dear sister, kind and sharing.
Thank you very much for caring.
My spirit wasn't happy inside all that weight.
I'm happy I shed the bulk before it was too late.
I knew it wasn't healthy, I was walking on thin ice,
The doctor told me many times to take his good advice.
He said my heart would up and quit, or possibly my liver.
Once or twice his words hit home, and I began to quiver.
But I proud, I'd not be told what I could do and I could not,
it was my body, after all, I didn't see the plot.
The Lord gave me a Temple to care for and to treasure,
not a thing to utilize for my desires and pleasure.
It is a sacred housing for a very special spirit.
The very fact is, you see, I didn't want to hear it.
Now you've made me understand, and I appreciate.
At first I didn't like you, but now I think you're great.
When I look in the mirror I have to stand and grin.
I recognize that body, it is my spirit's twin."
- by Nan Charleen Thomas
Update! Dad and I are now training at the temple and will be working Saturdays from 5:20 am to 11 am. We started last week. We do have the last two Saturday's off and the first two weeks in December the temple is closed. Can't you just imagine your mother getting up every Saturday morning at 4:15 am. Fun!
Love you all much, Dad and Mom
2 comments:
I think you and dad are wonderful and should not be so worried about your body shape. Don't stress over the numbers or sizes, be healthy, keep exercising and be happy with how you are. We love you!!
Do we have to wait an entire year to have chocolate desserts together? Happy Birthday, anyway! Lots of hugs!
Post a Comment